Positive reinforcement is the most effective method for training a dog. Positive reinforcement is praising your dog for good behavior. For example, giving the dog treats for learning a new trick or behaving the way you want it to behave. Below are tips to train a dog by using positive reinforcement.
- To begin, you first have to understand WHY your dog is behaving the way he is. You need to identify the root of the problem to figure out a solution.
Tip # 1:
- Once you understand why your dog is behaving the way he does is then you can start searching for a solution. It is essential that you understand your dog through the world in which he sees it.
Tip # 2:
- Do not confuse your dog by talking to him as if he is human. Use short words that your dog will understand and not get confused.
Tip # 3:
- Never scream or hit your dog. Recognize your dog’s concerns by using a firm stern voice.
Tip # 4:
- When dealing with anxiety behavior it is best to use a technique called desensitization. Desensitization is showing something someone fears is no longer scary. For example, if your dog is now allowed on the couch, show him more affection on the ground.